Friday, October 06, 2006

Socktoberfest!

Because Lolly has asked, I will answer. (yeah, I joined Socktoberfest!)



When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
A friend encouraged me to try socks, and at first I thought she was crazy. I actually gave up on my first pair, but after a few months picked them up again. I have been hooked ever since!

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
My first pair of socks were plain stockinette socks from Ann Norlings Basic Socks pattern. They were made out of a self patterned yarn (I can't even remember what kind!) on size 2 dpns. I don't wear them anymore though, they are not my favorite socks lol.

What would you have done differently?
I definitely would have knit them on smaller needles. They are slightly too big and the gauge is too loose. They are also just a tad too short in the foot.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
Wow! My favorites would have to be Socks That Rock, Lorna's Laces, Cherry Tree Hill, Mountain Colors Bearfoot, Opal and Trekking.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I really prefer the Magic Loop, but I will use dpns if I am desperate.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
Flap heel, definitely. I have done a few short-row heels, but I prefer knitting and wearing a flap heel sock.

How many pairs have you made?
Well I am not exactly sure. (I stink at keeping track of things!) Probably over 30 pair. What can I say....socks are my fav project!



Here are some of my socks. I have knit several pairs since this picture was taken, and some were given away too. (By the way, my first socks are the blue and grey jaquard ones, just to the right of the bottom of the circle.)

What a great way to celebrate socks! Thanks Lolly!

1 comment:

Karen said...

What a pretty circle of socks!