Monday, October 16, 2006

What-knot scarf

I have been busy this weekend making a scarf for a gift and one for myself. I played around with stitch patterns a lot and I think I have a winner.

This scarf is a great stash buster too. It only takes about 200yds of a handpainted or self-striping yarn. I just love it!

Here's the first one I made.


The next one I made for me!


Isn't it gorgeous in Manos? This one I am keeping for myself. After all it has a lot of PINK in it! You all know how much I love pink!


If you would like to make one for yourself, here you go:

What-knot scarf

2 skeins of Manos

Size 11 needles

Note: If you want to fringe your scarf, cut your fringe pieces before you start the body of the scarf. Then you can knit until you run out of yarn.

Cast on 17 stitches.

Row 1: knit
Row 2: k1, *purl 3 together, leaving these stitches on left needle, wrap yarn around right needle again, and then purl these same 3 stitches together for a second time*, repeat from *across row to last stitch, k1
Row 3: knit
Row 4: knit
Repeat these 4 rows until your scarf is desired length or until you run out of yarn, ending after row 3. Bind off. Add fringe if desired.

Enjoy the free pattern. It makes a very nice, quick gift.

(For the first scarf I used Lang Mille Colori #847, 2 skeins, size 9 needles, cast on of 20 sts.) You can use multiples of 3 + 2 for different weights of yarn. Have fun!

14 comments:

Catherine Kerth said...

thats a cool lookin' scarf! the stitch pattern is really neat, looks great with both yarns! hmmmm. i've got some manos hanging out in the stash ;)

Anonymous said...

That is a great stitch pattern and it looks absolutely gorgeous in the Manos! Both scarves look fabulous. I think I need to make one of these...Thanks for the pattern!

Anonymous said...

I see P3tog but no increases. Are you supposed to purl each stitch separately, rather than together, the second time? It looks gorgeous, however you did it!

Jeri said...

Nice scarf and thanks for the stitch pattern. Just to be clear, you knitted two skeins of Manos into it but one strand at a time, right?

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pattern.

Anonymous said...

Love the scarves. I think I'll be trying one soon!

Karen said...

Pretty! I have some stash yarn that would be perfect for it. Thanks for sharing it.

Joan said...

You do have a winner and I do have lots of Manos. Thank you!

Becka said...

Thanks for sharing your pattern, it's beautiful!

Elizabeth said...

Fabulous! I can't wait to try this out, thanks for sharing!

Zarzuela said...

Very pretty!

Jessica

aija said...

Wow, its gorgeous! It must be SO soft! :)

Woman who knits said...

WOW!!! Love the stitch pattern. I can't wait to try this!

MEA said...

I love the texture of this pattern, many thanks for sharing it! A brilliant stash project :-O